One reason your hair could be falling out is the side effects of certain medications. It is normal to lose a bit of hair through styling; however, if the hair loss is excessive then certain medications may be taking the blame. In most cases, medications lead to temporary hair loss, and your hair will grow back once you adjust the dose or stop taking the medication. In other cases, however, medications can cause you to develop male or female pattern baldness, leading to permanent hair loss. Here is a list of medications that can cause hair loss:
- Anti-depressants – These types of medications can cause something known as telogen effluvium (occurs when sudden or severe stress causes an increase in the shedding of the hair)
- Beta Blockers - Beta blockers are medications that reduce the workload of your heart and help to lower blood pressure. Beta blockers are known to cause telogen effluvium.
- Anticoagulants (blood thinners) – These medications help prevent blood clots and prevent other heart problems. Types of Antcoagulants that can lead to hair loss include warfarin sodium and heparin injections. The type of hair loss caused by anticoagulants is telogen effluvium. Telogen effluvium is a hair loss that can affect the entire scalp, rather than just a specific area.
- Male and female hormones - For women, taking oral contraceptives can cause hair loss. Hormonal medications that been known to cause telogen effluvium and female pattern baldness include; birth control pills, estrogen, and progesterone. Steroids can cause male pattern baldness.
- Vitamin A – When taking Vitamin A in large doses, it can lead to hair loss. The acne medication isotretinoin is derived from vitamin A.
These medications usually cause temporary hair loss, therefore if the hair loss is more prolonged then the right thing to do is the talk your GP. They will be able to give you the right advice to help with your hair loss and the reason for your medication.
HairMax has its own supplements and the natural vitamin complex is blended with clinically proven hair strengtheners to help support healthier hair. HairMax Dietary Supplements provide essential nutrients to help your hair look its best! They also strengthen nails and contribute to healthy looking skin.